We are pleased to announce that The Yearley Trust, in conjunction with The Nalang Model Academy and the Community of Nalang have set up “The Yearley Trust Centre of Excellence” to provide residential training for people all over rural Nepal. In addition, our English Teaching Ambassador will be helping teachers in rural schools around Nepal and also our Sports Program Officers will be running programs in rural schools to empower girls through sport.
A whole variety of free courses are planned to improve both the quality of education and the quality of life in rural Nepal.
Although residential courses will not start until the beginning of 2021 to allow everyone to recover from the effects of Covid-19 our English Teaching Ambassador and our Sports Program Officers will start working with rural schools once the threats from the virus are over.
The first residential courses, already agreed, that the Centre will provide include:
- Teacher Training and Training on how to teach children with special needs, expected April 2021 (both courses being led by an expert from England),
- Training for farmers on use of fertiliser and pesticides and also how to improve their crop yields and income, expected 2021
- Residential courses for teachers and classroom assistants on how to teach young children English using the American NGO ICAL system, which has proved to be very successful in countries where English is not the native language. We have hired an English Teaching Ambassador to start, as soon as possible, the trainings in other rural schools all over Nepal; ongoing online and expected in Nepal from April 2021
- First Aid in the Community
- Setting up and running a small rural business
- How to make craft products that can be made in rural communities
- To support the Trust’s program of promoting Empowerment for girls through sport – a series of residential courses to train teachers etc to become volleyball coaches and the ways that they can use this to promote empowerment for girls, expected from 2021
- The Centre will also have a schedule of online courses with tutors from England and America
All courses will be open to anyone from rural areas in Nepal and will use international experts where appropriate. There will be no charge for course fees and food and accommodation for all participants! (In 2018 the Trust had built a 56 bed School hostel with shower and toilet facilities which will provide the accommodation and also built a kitchen adjacent to the hostel that will provide the catering.)
However, as we are making everything free we need to appeal to your generosity because we want everyone who wants to attend by providing food and accommodation free.
- £5 covers the food and accommodation costs for one person a day
- £15 covers the food and accommodation costs for one person for the whole of an average course
- £50 will cover the food costs for one day for all the delegates on an average course